Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Follow me on this, won't you?

When I moved back from New York, I was a new member of the National Cartoonist Society. Somehow, I was offered the opportunity to go to Washington DC, to see Charles Schulz receive his Congressional of Honor. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but there was a question if he'd be there himself and then he made his transition, so it was presented to his family. 

The day when cancer came to town-well, okay it was already nicely moved in, wasn't it?-so we'll call this the day I got the alarming phone call at work. Well, if you know me, you know what I do when something goes really wrong and that is: I go to the library. 

Rule One: Gather more information. Since I was actually SITTING on the switchboard of my library-of course, what I did was find a book.  And I ran upstairs on my break to grab it. I think it was called My Cancer Year. And it's the story of this dude mixed in with helpful tidbits. (Not as good as MY tidbits. This dude mentions SEX like 49 times. I mean I guess, there would be a question of when-or something (We just found out it takes 6 weeks after surgery to regulate your digestive system. Woo. Sexy huh?) but this guy has to assure us that he can take care of his caregiver and I was thinking, umm okay already. We get it.) 

The first official thing I read in this book was this dude getting his diagnosis and that his wife was connected to Robin Williams from her work in the entertainment industry and these fancy friends of the Williams family assured the writer that they would make sure he'd have the finest doctors in the country. 

And here's me and here's Obamacare. Know what I mean?  SIGH. 


Anyway-aside from being too scared to read the rest of it-there was this one bit where the author and his pal attend a Snoopy Fund Raiser because that's what killed Charles Schulz. 

"Schulz died in his sleep at home on February 12, 2000 at around 9:45 pm, from complications arising from his colon cancer."

Huh. 

This is a catalogue on top of one of Philips plies of stuff. Isn't it beautiful?  The design and the color. 

Wow. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I really like Harvey Pekar, but I get why you might not be in the mood for him if that's your first of his work and your own journey feels so different. I hope you're feeling well tonight! xo

    ReplyDelete