Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Things that Hurt

I'm looking through the Christmas newspaper ads and I say, Hey, do you think I should get (boss number 2) something? (I've looking at the Target potted amaryllis bulbs for 10 bucks.) And P says(in a Very Serious and Bossy Non-Negotiable Tone): You cannot afford to. 

Ow. 


Things that are Hilarious

I was doing errands on Sunday and I bumped into Brendan. He has a glorious wispy manbun and formerly performed as one of the Weird Sisters in Chicagoland but description-wise, I had you at manbun, right? He says: It's good to see you! And I say: It's good to be seen! (And I really mean it. Ahh the sweet joy of doing your own errands-in your own car-taking your own time and all of that, right?) 

And he leans in-very seriously and says: So. What brand did you have?



Oh. Mah. Gawd. I nearly fell over laughing. Here-he was referring to which kind and location of cancer. It was So Funny.  

Lately, I have new appreciation for people who simply ask the questions and no time at all for hideous jerks who prove themselves too weak to even try. 





Affordable Care Act.


Today is the last time to sign up. I did some pre-investigation by making calls and talking to people and I thought I had it narrowed down to getting an HMO through Loyola. I'd have to do everything over there. Which is fine. It's like 8 minutes away or something like that. And they have new stuff equipment-wise. As far as I could tell. 

Well, good fortune smiled upon me. I waited on hold for 22 minutes with the affordable care act guy and I got the most patient fellow. He had to read miles of script but as we went-he asked me-do you know the difference between a co-pay and coinsurance? And okay, I really did not. Not like so I could answer on a quiz show or something. So we went through every concept. 

My first instinct to get a Bronze plan because it appeared cheaper-was way off. It kind of came down to being willing to take a Silver plan-which is actually twice what I've been paying this year(and where-I lamented-is THIS going to come from?) but in terms of cost-let's say per visit? Is actually closer to doable. 

January is coming. Let's see how this goes. 


Milestones

Last Saturday(12/5).  Monumental. 

I wore jeans for the first time since September 15th. They were not 100% comfortable. They're not-in my opinion-100% actual jeans. They have some sort of stretchy crap within them. But I've been completely black-panted (when I was not grey-sweated which was the home version)~pants-wise since the beginning of back to work so it must Mean Something, no?

(I returned to my full bra wardrobe some weeks ago. While it was also monumental-I didn't think it warranted a whole blog post because that would be creepy.) 

This week was called: turning up the heat. I am back to all three jobs-(not full force tho) and this week was about turning up my output. 

Do I want to do 2 extra hours at the library on Thursday-yes. Do you think you want to do a full day of massage Christmas Eve week-yes. (That's the bills answering even before I have a chance to think.) So, I found myself ready to go out to the Society of Children's Writers and Illustrators meeting last Thursday night all with my coat on and everything all of a sudden realizing what a bad idea that was-sort of exhausted. And I'm not even back to all of my hours yet. 


Wow, huh?


The Long Process of Getting Over Oneself


So mysterious. 


There's a little piece of paper floating around my desk and it says the following: Biopsy-Vasculitis. 2nd bio-no HSP. No urine test. 

The skin doc called and I called back and she'd left that message for me. The good news was that I didn't have to run back to the hospital for another urine test. It costs me a chunk of time as well as the five bucks to park. How are the spots on my legs-well, they're leaving for sure. That prednisone is some nasty breakfast. I'm on the ones tho. Three days of 4, three days of 3, three days of 2 and this Thursday will mark the last 1/2 and the stitches get pulled. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye. 

I was at the library standing next to my friend Leigh Ann who's entire house burned down. She has served as such a gigantic example to me. I kinda laughed to myself-ya know-here are two people just after worst case scenarios and we're still here. 


Go figya.











2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're writing from the land of Soldiering On. Bravo! (If writing has sounds. I think it does. Yours does.) πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ‹πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh would that not be so fantastic to have arrived there? I'm kinda thinking there's this process of waiting for the pickle juice to get out of your brain-like all those medications and junk? It's got to take time to leave you, right?

    Stay tuned for the next episode in which a woman steps on my foot and lives to regret it AND a cancer field trip. XXOO-A

    ReplyDelete